Sunday, April 21, 2013

Design Doc Writing and a Re-evaluation

This past week we got a build done, got some features implemented, and all in all everything went pretty smoothly. However, over the last week it became more and more apparent that we needed some kind of design document to make sure, at the very least, that everyone was on the same page in regards to the game design. Since, as Jason K put it, I was the closest thing we had to a design document, I should probably write that up. So, after spending a good deal of time looking for the best way to write a design up for our game, I came up with this:



To be honest, there was a little more selfishness to my plan to write up the design document. Part of me still holds on to that idea that Vinyl is "my baby" when in actuality it is now the collective baby of 11 people. I've just spent so much time with it over the last semester that it's hard for me to break from that feeling. But I'm trying. The other part is that I very much want to be a designer, and I recognize that most design work is not sitting in a room thinking of ideas; being the "idea person". That's the kind of thinking done by people who want to be a "designer" but don't know the first thing about actually making games. Also, design is very much a craft, and you have to practice a craft, so I wanted to practice.

Lastly, its been discussed with just about everyone on the team, individually or one-on-one, that we need some sort of designer, and I want to be that person. Basically, we need someone to steer the ship and make cuts. We started off very nebulous when we added our new teammates at the first gate, and for good reason. It was important that everyone contributed to the core of the game and to make them feel like they were a part of the team, that they were heard. At this point, as we are quickly approaching the summer and alpha, we need to make cuts and guide the design. As I want to guide my own education towards my desired career path, I want to be the designer on this game.

 I sent out a couple of long emails this weekend, mostly regarding new position in the team (to be taken on top of existing responsibilities) and with my design document attached for everyone's perusal. I also started a wiki on ShoutWiki, since that was the easiest way to have something remotely hosted which used the MediaWiki technology. MediaWiki seems really well made and is used be Wikipedia. I think the MediaWiki software will allow us more freedom than the Google Sites wiki template we were using before. Although the wiki will soon become a repository for design/tech/art/etc., right now its just a front page. But check it out, that color scheme is awesome (thanks Alice): http://thevinylgame.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page




My plan for the design part of the wiki is to have an overall design layout (very similar to the document above), but each mechanic will have its own page. On those pages, the template will look something like this (click on the picture for the actual Google Doc):


I want to call attention specifically to the Why? section. This exists because our team believes mechanics need to be tied to a problem that needed to be solved, or a situation which needed to be more enjoyable/unique/interesting/etc., and this is the place where a mechanic can be defended. If it lacks a strong defense, we'll probably cut it. Everything needs to have a place and a reason for being in that place.

I've started to put the designer plan in motion, but democratically and rationally. Our team is a democracy, (or a cabal or whatever) and so we decide things together. So far I think the team is responding well to these ideas. I've sent the email putting myself up for a design position, and also recommending Jason K as a designer as well. He's been with me from the beginning and contributes a lot of great ideas and feedback. I've also recommended Brianne for the Product Manager position. This is something we came up with to get a different point of view for the game, and it holds fairly close to the idea of a Product Manager in the Scrum process. We want someone to advocate for the users of the software who doesn't necessarily have to "design" the game, and Brianne does a great job coming from a different point of view than most of the people on the team. 

Of course I also told everyone to recommend themselves (or anyone else) for these positions if they want them and to make their case. So far, I haven't received a lot of feedback, but I think we'll get this hammered out pretty quickly. I think we'll have a meeting early Tuesday and decide.

That's it for now. Now we take our current build to EAE Day on Tuesday, and get some feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment